Oceans Alive (ebook Gr: 4 to 6)
Publisher: Rainbow Horizons Publishing
Grades: 4 to 6
Regular Price: $24.00 eBook Price: $15.99
Water, an extremely precious resource, is the basis for this exciting, hands-on unit on oceans. "Part I - Core Teaching Lessons" will have students playing in the waves, comparing fresh water and salt water, and creating oil spills right in their own classroom. "Part II - Student Handbook" is included to supplement all of the Core Lessons. Cooking and art activities from "Part III - Optional Lessons" will give students a different perspective about oceans. A student exam to test the students' knowledge of the information contained in this unit is also included. Set sail for an exciting voyage!
PART I - CORE TEACHING LESSONS
In this section, students will learn about the Earth's Oceans. The lesson titles and subsequent activities are as follows:
- Water, Water, Everywhere! - Unit Introduction, Wordsearch
- Sink or Swim - Science Experiment
- Catch a Wave - Wave Formation Experiment
- The Tide Will Come, The Tide Will Go - Worksheet
- Exploring Downunder - Visualization, Diagram
- Hang on to Your Hats! - Sequencing Activity
- Line Up For Lunch - Marine Food Web Activity
- A "Slick" Slick - Brainstorming, Science Experiment
PART II - STUDENT HANDBOOK
This section contains student notes that correspond to each of the Core Teaching Lessons. The notes may be used as handouts, on an overhead, or students may copy them from the blackboard into their notebooks.
PART III - OPTIONAL LESSONS
The following activities are meant to enhance, extend, and supplement the Core Teaching Lessons, building flexibility into the unit.
- Novel Study
- The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor
- Ocean Floor Pressure Experiment
- Poetry Writing
- Salt Water Experiment
- Treasure Chest of Ocean Words
- Research Project
- Bulletin Boards
- Art Activities
- Cooking Activities
- Oceans Alive Crossword
- Ocean Environments
PART IV - EXAM AND ANSWER KEY
A sample exam has been included.