Classical Music & Cool Composers (ebook Gr: 6 to A)
Publisher: Rainbow Horizons Publishing
Grades: 6 to Adult
Regular Price: $24.00 eBook Price: $15.99
Did you know that when he was a child, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart fainted whenever he heard a brass instrument? Did you know that Johann Sebastian Bach fathered twenty children? The interesting and intriguing world of classical music and its most famous composers comes alive in this highly motivating unit. Part I - Core Lessons focuses on five famous composers including Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin and Tchaikovsky in a structured, information-based section. Each lesson has a detailed biography, related activities and accompanying student notes in Part II. Part III - Optional Lessons adds flexibility to the unit with possible homework or enrichment activities. This unit is sure to please and a must in any middle years music class.
PART I - CORE TEACHING LESSONS
- Introdoction -Classical Conundrum
- Bach (Baroqoe Period) - Dou't Fix It IfItAin't Baroque
- Mozart (Classical Period) - Amadeus
- Beethoven (Classical Period) - Imagery Activity
- Chopin (Romantic Period) - Concert Poster
- TchaikovskThey (Romantic Period) - Classical Mystery
- Musical Forms -Musical Forms Worksheet
- Musical Terms -Classical Cartooning
- Review - Review Crossword
PART II - STUDENT NOTESFOR OVERHEAD
Students write down notes from overhead transparencies. These notes provide the information base for the unit and give students material from which to study.
PART III - OPTIONAL LESSONS
This collection of activities is excellent for homework or enrichment.
- Classical Music Forms Wordsearch
- Classical Music II Wordsearch
- Composer Riddles
- Biography of Modern Composer
- Classical Class
- Other Famous Composers
- Opera Or Ballet Field Trip
- PBS Video Biography
- Hooked On Classics
- Thumbs Up Or Thumbs Down
MUSIC FOR THE UNIT
It is best to try to play classical music every day during this unit. The music can play while all of the students enter the classroom in the morning, or during independent project time. Try to expose students to as many different composers and styles as possible.